Chelsea’s rise to the top thanks to Roman Abramovich’s unlimited Russian roubles was highly annoying for all those...
Chelsea’s rise to the top thanks to Roman Abramovich’s unlimited Russian roubles was highly annoying for all those who follow a good honest football club. Let’s face it, everyone dreams of their club being bankrolled to the Premier League title despite the amount of times we waffle the words ‘immorality’ and ‘wouldn’t want to buy our trophies anyway.’ However, Roman’s millions did one good thing for the English game. His name is Jose Mourinho.
Plucked from Porto as a Champions League winner in 2004 to deliver the title, Mourinho did just that, winning it at the first attempt. Over the next three years, Jose became one of the most entertaining, outspoken, bemusing, but ultimately popular characters that game has today. Not one English fan can truly admit they were pleased to see him go, despite Chelsea’s subsequent demise and he has continued to sparkle during his time initially with Inter Milan and now Real Madrid. Jose truly is ‘The Special One’ and we pay homage to him with 15 of the best Mourinhoisms:
- “Please don’t call me arrogant, but I’m European champion and I think I’m a special one.” – Jose on Jose.
- “As we say in Portugal, they brought the bus and they left the bus in front of the goal. I would have been frustrated if I had been a supporter who paid £50 to watch this game because Spurs came to defend.” – Jose isn’t a fan of Spurs’s defensive tactics in a 2004 Premier League game.
- "For me, pressure is bird flu. I'm feeling a lot of pressure with the problem in Scotland. It's not fun and I'm more scared of it than football." – Jose on pressure.
- "If they made a film of my life, I think they should get George Clooney to play me. He's a fantastic actor and my wife thinks he would be ideal." – Jose on his doppelganger.
- "The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem." – Jose criticises Roman Abramovich’s choice of players.
- "My wife is in Portugal with the dog. The dog is with my wife so the city of London is safe, the big threat is away." – Jose on his escaped Yorkshire Terrier.
- "Three years without a Premiership title? I don't think I would still be in a job." – Jose puts Rafa Benitez in his place after the former Liverpool boss criticised him.
- "If I wanted to have an easy job, working with the big protection of what I have already done before, I would have stayed at Porto - beautiful blue chair, the Uefa Champions League trophy, God, and after God, me." – Jose on the challenge facing him at Chelsea.
- "The way they are, tomorrow we will probably read I am to blame for the volcano. Maybe I have a friend in the volcano and I am responsible for that." – Jose on Barcelona complaining about their two day detour en route to their Champions League semi-final because of the Icelandic volcano eruption in 2010.
- “Barcelona is a cultural city with many great theatres and this boy [Lionel Messi] has learned very well. He’s learned play-acting.” – Jose on Messi’s play acting that got Asier Del Horno sent off in 2006.
- "Look at my haircut. I am ready for the war." – Jose after shaving off all his hair.
- “My history as a manager cannot be compared with Frank Rijkaard’s history. He has zero trophies and I have a lot of them.” Jose thinks highly of the former Barcelona manager.
- "If you ask me if I jump with happiness when I know Mr Poll is our referee? No." – Jose confirms that Graham Poll does not feature on his Christmas card list.
- "Wenger has a real problem with us and I think he is what you call in England a voyeur. He is someone who likes to watch other people. There are some guys who, when they are at home, have this big telescope to look into the homes of other people and see what is happening. Wenger must be one of them - and it is a sickness." – Jose also confirms that no card goes through Arsene Wenger’s letterbox during the festive season.
- "Young players are a little bit like melons. Only when you open and taste the melon are you 100% sure that the melon is good." – Jose on developing Chelsea’s young stars. I think…